While you are honing your techniques in different games of chance, you may stumble upon advertised and promoted betting schemes which boast to be the best in the circle. And if you are wondering if these techniques are as perfect as they are advertised to be, then you could just be dismayed to learn they are overrated. This because there is no strategy or technique that could hoodwink the concrete probabilities—the house advantage in the game of roulette never changes no matter what kind of technique and approach is used. Hence, you still are going against a house advantage of 5.26% for American roulette tables and 2.6% for European tables.
On the other hand, it does not imply that you cannot win in roulette betting because you can—as a matter of fact. This write-up exposes some of the betting techniques so popular in the casino realm that they are often used by seasoned gamers and learned by newbies. Some techniques make you win big time, while others increase your chance at hitting small wins.
The Most Common Types of Roulette Betting
Roulette betting strategies are classified by experts into two major groups and under each group are several subtypes. You may have encountered the terms “outside bets” and “inside bets” that are elaborated as follows.
What are Outside bets?
The roulette table features thirty eight numbers and any bet placed outside these numbers or outside the main area is considered an outside bet. Since you cannot place bets on 0 and 00, you don’t have any chance at winning if the results are these numbers. Outside bets are simply those made in the boxes that surround the numbers. You might have seen the following outside bets:
- Dozens bet – Also referred to as twelve numbers dozens, these bets are applicable for numbers 1-12, 13-24, and 25-36, known as first, second, and third dozen respectively.
- Column bets – Also called twelve numbers column bets, these bets are unlike the previous one since this time you will be betting on one of the three columns instead on the twelve consecutive numbers. Like the dozens bet this pays 2 to 1.
- There are other roulette bets of this type and they are Low or High, Even or Odd, and Red or Black. Any of these bets shall give you a probability of winning roulette.
What are Inside bets?
- Straight up bet – This is also called “one number straight up” bet and is the most straightforward of all roulette bets. The player would only place a bet on one of the 38 numbers on the table with a payout of 35 to 1. This sounds simple but is sometimes difficult to win.
- Split bet – Can also be referred to as “two numbers split bet,” this one pays 17 to 1 and is done by wagering on two numbers that lie alongside on the table. When either of the number shows up, you win. This can be done by putting the chip on the line between two numbers.
There are other types of inside bets like the “four numbers corner”, “six numbers line bet”, and “three numbers line bet.”