While you are honing your techniques in different games of chance, you may stumble upon advertised and promoted betting schemes which boast to be the best in the circle. And if you are wondering if these techniques are as perfect as they are advertised to be, then you could just be dismayed to learn they are overrated. This because there is no strategy or technique that could hoodwink the concrete probabilities—the house advantage in the game of roulette never changes no matter what kind of technique and approach is used. Hence, you still are going against a house advantage of 5.26% for American roulette tables and 2.6% for European tables.
On the other hand, it does not imply that you cannot win in roulette betting because you can—as a matter of fact. This write-up exposes some of the betting techniques so popular in the casino realm that they are often used by seasoned gamers and learned by newbies. Some techniques make you win big time, while others increase your chance at hitting small wins.
The Most Common Types of Roulette Betting
Roulette betting strategies are classified by experts into two major groups and under each group are several subtypes. You may have encountered the terms “outside bets” and “inside bets” that are elaborated as follows.
What are Outside bets?
The roulette table features thirty eight numbers and any bet placed outside these numbers or outside the main area is considered an outside bet. Since you cannot place bets on 0 and 00, you don’t have any chance at winning if the results are these numbers. Outside bets are simply those made in the boxes that surround the numbers. You might have seen the following outside bets:
- Dozens bet – Also referred to as twelve numbers dozens, these bets are applicable for numbers 1-12, 13-24, and 25-36, known as first, second, and third dozen respectively.
- Column bets – Also called twelve numbers column bets, these bets are unlike the previous one since this time you will be betting on one of the three columns instead on the twelve consecutive numbers. Like the dozens bet this pays 2 to 1.
- There are other roulette bets of this type and they are Low or High, Even or Odd, and Red or Black. Any of these bets shall give you a probability of winning roulette.
What are Inside bets?
- Straight up bet – This is also called “one number straight up” bet and is the most straightforward of all roulette bets. The player would only place a bet on one of the 38 numbers on the table with a payout of 35 to 1. This sounds simple but is sometimes difficult to win.
- Split bet – Can also be referred to as “two numbers split bet,” this one pays 17 to 1 and is done by wagering on two numbers that lie alongside on the table. When either of the number shows up, you win. This can be done by putting the chip on the line between two numbers.
There are other types of inside bets like the “four numbers corner”, “six numbers line bet”, and “three numbers line bet.”
If you have been keen to confirm whether the advertised betting schemes are valid be prudent because there are a number of sites that claim they have betting systems which allow you to beat the game of roulette but are false. No matter what kind of betting systems you use, the house edge continues to be the same. This suggests that whether you change your strategies in playing, a European table will still assume a house edge of 2.6% while the American roulette will still have 5.26%.
However, it does not mean that there is no longer a good chance at gaining wins in roulette betting. This article discusses a few of the known techniques in wagering employed by seasoned pros, and not only can you go through each kind of strategy but you can also compare each with the others.
What are the Types of Roulette Betting Used in Roulette Circles Today?
There are many roulette betting strategies and each can be categorized under two major types: outside and inside bets. Read the further to learn more.
Outside Bets – In roulette, a wager that resides outside the main playing area of thirty eight numbers is called an outside bet. This wager is not applicable for number 0 and 00, and so you have no chance at winning such bets. You better take a good note of the following numbers for an outside bet:
- You can lay your wager on any of the three sets of numbers: the first dozen that comprises numbers 1 – 12, the second dozen that is from 13 to 24, and the third (25 – 36).
- These 12 numbers have boxes, with “2 to 1” marks, at the end of 38 number groups. These boxes belong to a column and they show the number you chose when you win. This is, as a matter of fact, quite the same to the previous type of wager.
- As you may have known somewhere, there are other kinds of outside wagers for roulette betting and included in these are high or low numbers, odd or even set of numbers, and red or black sets. Any of these can give you a sheer possibility of winning in roulette games.
Inside bets – You can cast several inside bets and have smaller chances of winning than with outside bets, but the wins are bigger.
One number straight up – This seems to be the simplest among all known roulette bets and some people prefer this to any other. It needs gamers to cast their wager on any of the thirty eight numbers on the table with a chance at a payout of 35 to 1. This may seem too plain but some think it is a tough bet.
Two numbers Split Bet – When two numbers lie beside each other on the table, you can wager on either at the same time. This wager pays 17 to 1 if one of the numbers shows up. This bet is cast by placing your chip on the line that divides two numbers on the table.
There other inside bets and they are as follows: four numbers corner, six numbers line bet, and three numbers street bet.
Aside from the American roulette, players could also try to go for the European roulette system. There are really not so many differences between the two. In fact, they are quite very similar and with only minor differences such as the American roulette table has double zeros while the European only has a single zero.
However, amidst this difference, both systems follow the same ideas when played. Both follow a similar set of rules. One major difference brought about the double and single zeros is the house advantage, wherein the American roulette system has a 5.7% house advantage as compared to the 2.7% for the European. Disregarding the differences in zeros, the wheels for both systems are the same and also the payouts and the layout of the table. Thus, if you think about it, the difference in zeros is not much of a big deal for both games. However, between the two, more people prefer to play the European table as it is patterned after the more traditional French roulette version.
Basic Rules on the European Roulette Game
Listed below are some of the important rules that you need to always bear in mind when playing the game especially if you are still in the process of learning the ropes.
- As mentioned before, the house advantage for this game is 2.6%
- The bets are cast on 0 and 1-36 and there is a single zero for this game
- There are outside bets pay out of 1-1 and 2-1
- The inside wagers pay out from 5 to 1 and could even become 35 to 1
What You Need to Know to Play European Roulette Online
- Look for an Online Casino Where You Want to Play – Make sure that you search a site that offers European roulette games. Before deciding which online casino to use, check on its background first and go for the one that has the best reputation in your list. You would not want to play your money in a casino with a tarnished status, right?
- Choose the Chip or Stake that you want to use – Are you going to put your money at risk or are you going to play it safe and just play for free? You need to decide on this before you start playing. There are some machines that ask you right away to make your bet while there are those that just ask you to choose what your stake is.
- Make a Bet – Then, you have to make a bet. Move your mouse cursor towards the betting field that you want to pick. Once you choose the field, it becomes highlighted and would sometimes show its payout equivalent. If your decision is final, you can click on it to place your bet.
- Start spinning the wheel – This is the last step that you would need to do and it only asks you to click the SPIN button to make the wheel turn. The only time you will know that you have won or lost the round is when the wheel has already stopped turning.